- Background: The use of ICTs has a number of challenges for example, computers malfunction, laptops break down, servers go offline, networks become unavailable and computers slowdown with time, etc. All of these problems can be minimised by keeping up with regularly scheduled preventive maintenance activities.
It is important for every user to have an idea on basic preventive maintenance in order to maintain the equipment in a good running condition. This topic will equip the learner with skills to maintain his/her computer systems in a good running condition and the safety measures to observe when working in a computer laboratory.
- Learning Outcome: The learner should be able to: take care of computer systems, maintain (service) computer systems, troubleshoot malfunctioning computer systems and restore them to a good running condition.
- Guidance to the Teacher: Provide some few computers where the learner can practise how to install and uninstall software on computer systems. This should be done for both application software and system software.
Guide the learner to identify and correct simple practical problems encountered when using a computer. For example, simple troubleshooting software failures, boot failure, identifying loose power connection and many more.
Where the word lab or laboratory has been used, it is exclusively referring to the computer laboratory.
- Recommended Coverage Duration: 16 periods (22/3 weeks)
Senior Five Term I
- Suggested Competences for Assessment: Assess the learners’ ability to install application and system software; take care of a computer system and use it safely.
- How to Download this class notes presentation: Click on Add to Cart, then a green section with a button for view cart will appear. Click on VIEW CART. On the cart, scroll down and click on the PROCEED TO CHECKOUT button. On the checkout page, you will fill in your billing/contact information, then choose a payment gateway to use. Mobile Money is chosen by default. To use mobile money, simply type in your mobile money account number without the leading zero (MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, Africell Money and Msente are supported) and click PLACE ORDER. A prompt will be sent to your phone from PEGASUS (Mobile Money Agent). Once you enter your password, it will take a few minutes for your payment to be detected before you are redirected to the download page. In case of any assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call / text / whatsapp me on 0706060740.